Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Write Like...for I've Never Loved

I recently started a romance novel called I've Never Loved. I submitted the following chapter to I Write Like.

“I don’t care what excuses they’re offering, we’re finalizing the takeover.” Chase Rutherford’s face was entirely indifferent as he responded to the message his assistant, Lucy Bartlett, had brought him. Smart and Sweet was going under, and trying to weasel out of the business negotiations they’d begun. The chain of bakeries needed a serious overhaul, and Chase needed a tax break.

Lucy nodded. “Yes, sir; I’ll call and tell the owner that he doesn’t want to risk bringing lawyers into this business.”

A cold smirk twisted Chase’s lips and Lucy forced herself not to shudder. He had a dangerously sensual mouth, and Lucy was very careful not to think about it too often. “That’s what I like about you, as an executive assistant, you’re eloquent and to the point.”

The petite brunette gave him a polite nod. “Thank you, Mr. Rutherford.”

Chase’s gray eyes darkened like an approaching thunderhead, and Lucy had to steel herself to hold eye contact. His irises were almost black, and it sent a shiver of apprehension down Lucy’s spine. A sense of dismay made her stomach clench. She knew that Chase didn’t miss the fear creeping into her wide, innocent baby blue eyes. “Lucy, there’s something I’d like to talk to you about.”

“What is it?” She caught her bottom lip between her teeth, and he sighed.

“You’ve been working as my executive assistant for three years; don’t you think it’s time you outgrew calling me ‘sir’ and ‘Mr. Rutherford’?”

Shock registered on Lucy’s graceful features, and a blush crept up her high cheekbones. “I’m sorry.” She lowered her dark lashes and made a point of studying the tips of her black sling-backs intently. “I thought you’d consider it to be impertinent and unprofessional for me to call you by your first name.”

Chase chuckled and ran a hand through his golden curls. “I would prefer it if you called me Chase when you address me. There’s no need for such formality when you’ve been working for me this long.” Lucy gave another nod, hugging an appointment ledger to her chest. Chase’s hawkish features hardened as he frowned. “Look at me, Lucy. Why are you so uncomfortable?”

“It’s a long story.” Her tongue darted out to moisten her lips, wondering why they were so dry all of a sudden. His piercing eyes glared out at her from the golden tan of Chase’s face. This is like being interrogated by a Grecian god, she thought.

“Tell me.” Panic flooded through Lucy. She didn’t want Chase to know about her past, afraid that it would ruin the dynamic of their professional relationship. He was attempting to open Pandora’s box, and she was determined to keep it shut.

By some miracle, his phone rang before she could answer. Lucy could feel Chase’s eyes boring into her. “We’ll talk about this later.” She realized that it was an order, not a suggestion, and her heart sank. How am I going to get out of this? She retreated to her desk in the reception area as he picked up the phone and collapsed into her leather computer chair.

I Write Like told me that, in this piece of my work:



I write like
Jane Austen

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment