Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period.

I recently bought Write. 10 Days to Overcome Writer's Block. Period. by Karen E. Peterson, Ph.D. ecause my muse has been difficult as of late. I don't mean a little difficult, either. This has been an out-and-out war for about two months.

I felt validated from the first moment I opened this book and learned that Dr. Peterson has been an English teacher, psychologist, and workshop facilitator. I must admit, I was a bit wary when I first saw the words "bi-vocal approach to conquering writer's block," (xi). My eyebrows shot dangerously close to my hairline, but I decided to hang on for the ride and find out what Dr. Peterson was talking about.

I'm not going to blow the surprise. If you want to find out what it is, go out and buy this brilliant book. I can tell you that I learned more about the inner workings of my own mind while reading this book than I ever did when I was in therapy.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking my therapist, and therapy was infinitely helpful to me. What I mean is that Dr. Peterson's way of looking at writer's block really spoke to me.

I've always been a creative person, and the two sides of my brain always seem to be at war with one another, but this book taught me how to tame the beast and get the muse back on track.

I highly recommend this book to any person suffering from writer's block.

No comments:

Post a Comment